John Russell (the artist)

Sunday, November 11, 2018


On Saturday we went down to Sydney to catch the John Russell exhibition at the Art Gallery.  I didn't really know much about him or his work (or the exhibition), and sometimes I think this is a bonus as I was pleasantly surprised by the exhibit - the number of paintings displayed and the information supplied (and I liked his art - which is always helpful!).

These are only three of his paintings of the same scene painted at different times.




The Impressionists were apparently quite inspired by Japanese wood block printing (the bold, strong colours that were used).  There were a few on display, I have always really liked prints and lino cuts, etc.





Charlie, Erin, Natalie and myself went together with some good homeschooling friends - Monique, Channan and Temina.

It was a lovely day.  Charlie organised an improptu three-legged race in the Domain while we had lunch and after the exhibit we went to Chinatown and wandered around there for a while, buying the obligatory bubble tea (which my kids love).

Charlie and Channan


Erin with her bubble tea

Natalie with her bubble tea

Channan balancing

Street performer in Chinatown


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top