Groups of 10

Sunday, May 6, 2018
Teaching maths is not my strong point, although I am so much more interested in maths now than I was at school and have had many "ah...ha" moments over the last few years as the penny finally dropped.

However, I struggled this last week or so in helping Natalie grasp the concept of groupings of 10's and why we count that way.  As Natalie is a "doing" type of girl, I came up with an idea ....

A patty cake tin, some beans, and lots of counting (it started with marbles, but that was waaaay too noisy).



We put 10 beans into one compartment, and then counted out "singles" into the one next to it and then added them up.

Although she has not "got it" completely yet, Natalie was focussed and I think the penny maybe slowly sliding!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top